Google apps
Main menu

Post a Comment On: Rany on the Royals

"Dayton, More. (And More.)"

27 Comments -

1 – 27 of 27
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice comments on Bob Dutton. I'll miss him, too. I didn't know you two had that kind of history, but that really speaks well of him.

December 2, 2013 at 7:36 AM

Blogger John said...

He's leaving the Royals for the Mariners? Aren't you supposed to move up to a large market team when you move on from K.C.?

December 2, 2013 at 8:07 AM

Blogger 49er16 said...

I’ve been told that Brian Sabean has worked on the last year of a contract multiple times in San Francisco, but aside from the fact that I’ve really never quite got a handle on how the Giants do business, it’s quite possible that a handshake agreement was already in place.

Bochy has also worked years with the Giants with just a year left on his contract. I think that's just how the Giants ownership group works.

December 2, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Blogger Antonio said...

I'll also miss Bob Dutton. Once last summer he even made a Freudian reference (when writing about Brett). Quality stuff.

December 2, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

First Rob Neyer, now Bob Dutton. Rany, why does every Kansas City-based baseball writer you get to know end up fleeing to the Pacific Northwest?

December 2, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Blogger Unknown said...

It seems like the Royals are valuing Vargas as an innings eater. Remember the comment last year that the Royals wanted 1000 innings from their starting pitchers. Vargas averages out 30 starts and 190 innings a year over the last four years while Hughes has given the Yankees 26 and 147. Vargas topped out at 217 innings while Hughes' high point (191) is barely above Vargas's average. Rany is clearly correct that Hughes has the better upside in terms of quality pitching. But if the Royals are just looking for bulk innings they may have made the right choice. If they are looking to win games … they need to score more runs, regardless of who is on the mound.

December 2, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Blogger Michael S. said...

I feel Rang is missing one big point. Kauffman is a large stadium too, so Vargas' numbers shouldn't change much due to his home park.

December 2, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Blogger JohNavarre said...

Glad to see some new pieces, Mr. Jazayerli. I can't tell you how depressing it was to surf over here and see "THE FINAL HOMESTAND" for all of October. That said, I greatly enjoyed reading your and Mr. Keri's pieces on the playoffs over at Grantland.

It'll be nice if, when the Moore era ends, the Glass family can look to hire a front office that is more in tune with modern metrics or at least willing to adopt unorthodox strategies to solve problems with the squad. This front office appears to have a specific idea of what they want from their team, but it's hard to get behind that as a fan when it doesn't appear to be a winning formula. It's as if "The Process" is designed to take a team through 80 years of baseball isntead of the more realistic 5. Sometimes plans don't work out and it's important to be flexible and adapt to the realities of your situation. The resistance to that type of adaptation is the most frustrating quality that Mr. Moore and Mr. Yost have. It's probably what the Glass family likes so much about them and what drives fans like me bonkers.

December 3, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Blogger Fast Eddie said...

When I saw that a "mystery team" had offered Beltran 3 years & $48M, my first thought was, "that's stupid to pay someone that much at his age". My 2nd thought was which team would do a stupid thing like that. You know what my 3rd thought was.

December 4, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Blogger twm said...

Yep. Beltran is easily my favorite non-championship vintage Royal, apologies to Greinke, whom I love, but $16 million a year for three years would make my head explode. It would also be a strong signal that Moore views 2014 as our window, and that he is willing to borrow from 2015 and 2016 to make his run. That type of thinking would also make my head hurt, not explosively, but hurt nonetheless.

December 4, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Blogger Fast Eddie said...

"Royals acquire Aoki from Brewers for Will Smith"--I wonder if this means they aren't signing Beltran?

December 5, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Blogger John said...

It would be the one smart thing they've done in a while if they didn't. Aoki was a 3 WAR player in each of his first two seasons in MLB. Beltran is so lousy defensively that he was only good for 2.4 last year. He should really be used as a DH at this point in his career, and 1) DH's aren't worth eight-figure salaries unless they're nicknamed Big Papi; and 2) the Royals already have a DH.

December 5, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Blogger twm said...

I love Aoki! And I love this move. Not certain about Smith or how he is viewed, but I love Aoki and Smith seems like an acceptable price even for the final year of Aoki's contract.

December 5, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Blogger twm said...

I think Aoki even takes the walk now and then. That will be weird, setting up a potential Gordon-Aoki-Butler-Hosmer top half'ish of the lineup, all guys capable of registering a better than .350 OBP. I'm not certain what to make of this.

December 5, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Blogger Unknown said...

I would think Aoki, Gordon, Hosmer, Butler is more likely. Hopefully Aoki can teach Escobar to get infield hits again. Maybe he can teach Perez not to swing at pitches two feet outside even if you are good enough to get hits on them occasionally. I like Beltran but I can't see signing him for 3/48 and trading away Butler. I feel pretty confident Butler at least won't get injured. I don't have much confidence in Beltran staying healthy.

December 5, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Blogger twm said...

On the one hand I don't want Cano to sign with the Yanks for less than 7 years/$200 million because the narrative surrounding these negations annoys me. But on the other, if DM is not misleading us in saying that we still have money to spend, I want Cano back in NY because I want (I think, anyway) Infante in KC, and a Cano'less yanks might price Infante out of KC.

December 5, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Blogger Mark said...

Well, I suppose Gordon qualifies as a middle of the order bat. And for Will Smith. And we don't have to keep pretending we can get Beltran for 48 freakin' mil. I think I like it.

Go ahead, Rany--give us another "meh."

December 5, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Blogger Mark said...

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am enjoying the rage pouring out of New York and ESPN because the Yanks allowed someone to outbid them for Cano. It's as if they think they are entitled to ALL the best players. Yes, the Mariners are stupid, as is Cano, but I am tired of the big money domination of the sport.

Let's get a right fielder (Trumbo!) and play ball.

December 7, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Blogger twm said...

Aoki is a right fielder. Trumbo is not.

December 7, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Blogger Michael S. said...

Trumbo is a first baseman playing right field.

December 8, 2013 at 3:16 AM

Blogger Mark said...

Trumbo CAN play the outfield, has some real pop, and offers some lineup flexibility that Butler does not (Gordon, Aoki, and Hosmer could get off days and still hit). I would prefer Stanton, but he's either not available or too expensive.

December 9, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Blogger John said...

Trumbo can play the outfield in the same sense that Adam Dunn can. Just because he has the ability to stand out there with a glove and move a few feet in either direction doesn't mean that putting him there is a wise move.

December 11, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Blogger Michael S. said...

I think its safe to say the Royals got better today.

December 13, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Blogger twm said...

Many will lament the years given to Infante, but I like this signing, and am beginning to think the Royals have found a new market inefficiency: guaranteeing extra years. Sure, for years this has been the knock on KC and free agency, that we need to overpay to entice, but we just did it against the Yankees, and that is probably a first. If Joe Sheehan is right and the money doesn't matter anymore, then $7-8 million to. Infante in four years will be nothing, possibly the going rate for a 1WAR player. If that is all it took to entice Infante to fill one of our biggest organizational weaknesses, and to do it during our current window of contention, well, good on Dayton for going the fourth year.

December 13, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Blogger twm said...

I should add that, absent a trade of Bonifacio, this also strengthens our bench, as Bonifacio offers another pinch runner weapon, and is probably at least close to average defending in the infield.

December 13, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Blogger Michael S. said...

Bonifacio can play 6 positions and can be a super utility guy who still plays 3 times a week. He will still get 300-400 ABs minimum and can step in as the starter for many positions if someone gets hurt. He will be a great asset to this team.

December 14, 2013 at 7:46 AM

Blogger twm said...

Well put. And if Moose doesn't turn things around, Bonifacio could see even more playing time. Despite Moose's hype and pedigree, Yost probably needs a quick hook with him, as the Royals cannot afford to toss away third base. Also, do the Royals carry five outfielders plus Bonifacio? I love Dyson and want him on the bench, but I also like Maxwell. This is actually kind of fun: thinking of ways to optimize the bench on a potential playoff contender. Not certain if we can hope for last season's success, but we have to prepare for it, and that is excitement Royals fans don't get much of.

December 14, 2013 at 9:41 AM

You can use some HTML tags, such as <b>, <i>, <a>

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.

Comment moderation has been enabled. All comments must be approved by the blog author.

You will be asked to sign in after submitting your comment.