Applications Google
Menu principal

Post a Comment On: Rany on the Royals

"Jose Guillen Is A Distraction. Film At Eleven."

12 Comments -

1 – 12 of 12
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post, as always. A wonderful antidote to all those people who seem to be writing "leave poor Jose alone, he's been a real read who has brought a lot of 'fire' to the team." Fire apparently doesn't like to take a pitch, either.

July 31, 2008 at 12:17 AM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It should say a lot about how feared Jose is when Oakland intentionally walks Alex Gordon twice to get to Guillen (and walks Gordon five times)

Can we get the league to allow Guillen to play right field in a golf cart?

Also, what are the betting odds that Jose injured himself somehow on the throw from Monday against Detroit where he hit the top of backstop from right field?

July 31, 2008 at 3:59 AM

Blogger Shelby said...

Trade him for a couple of high-risk/high upside prospects, free up some serious cash, and move forward.

The end.

July 31, 2008 at 4:21 AM

Blogger RDC said...

Rany don't ever quit doing this, no matter how bad the boys in blue are this blog is the only thing that keeps my interest in the Royals.

Thank you for what you do. Don't burn out like Neyer.

July 31, 2008 at 9:08 AM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

To defend the signing - Guillen did have a 353 OBP last year, so I don't think a dropoff to 287 could have been reasonably expected by anyone.

As for playing him while he is hurt - I think the bigger question is why isn't he at DH, with Butler at 1B, and Gload on the bench, until his groin heals well enough to play the field. That would seem to assuage everyone, and come with the added benefits of, you know, developing a first baseman with the potential to one day actually have a first baseman hitting pedigree.

July 31, 2008 at 9:41 AM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guillen drove in the winning run not once last night, but TWICE. It's not his fault the bullpen gave it back in the 7th.

I agree he should be letting his groin recover somewhat, but who do we have to replace him that's likely to do that for us? Shane Costa? Please.

Jose, I'm happy to have you here in KC.

July 31, 2008 at 9:45 AM

Blogger Bodjo said...

Good stuff, Rany. Jose might be worth the pain if he was anywhere near even last year's production, but he's definitely disappointed thus far.

I agree he should be letting his groin recover somewhat, but who do we have to replace him that's likely to do that for us? Shane Costa? Please.

Uh...yep! Shane Costa could definitely go 9-for-62! Pretty much anyone can! I can!

July 31, 2008 at 10:10 AM

Blogger Unknown said...

Regarding Guillen's behavior in general, I was not that worried about him coming to KC when he was signed. I had seen him play last year with Seattle who was also a bad team and he behaved himself just fine. You didn't hear a peep out of him. My guess was that he was maturing.

When he has raised him voice this year, I have agreed with him in almost every case. I like the fire in the clubhouse as opposed to previous years.

I disagree with what he was signed for. He is overpaid even if he is producing at the level he did last year. This was a mistake by DM.

Finally, when a manager concedes to a player's wishes over what is best for the team because he is worried about that player causing a stink, then A.)the player needs to be calmed down a bit and B.)the manager isn't doing his job.

July 31, 2008 at 11:47 AM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jose has had good stretches to go along with his bad ones. Anyone can "be as good as" a guy in a slump. Over the course of the season, though, he's already, as of late July, had more RBIs than any Royal did all of last season, and needs only 15 more - which I predict he'll get easily - to top any Royal of the prior 3 seasons.

I can't see Shane Costa giving us that. No way, Jose.

July 31, 2008 at 12:47 PM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it is laughable what this town is trying to do to Jose Guillen. You don't want a player with fire and passion and plays through injuries and says exactly what he thinks. Instead you'd rather have the soft spoken Mr. Nice Guy. Well wake up, you didn't want him either, his name was Mike Sweeney. At least when this one gets injured he still plays. I'm all for Guillen being here, and staying here. The more he says exactly what he thinks, the closer this franchise is going to be to respectability. Maybe he'll finally embarrass the front office enough that they have to put real MLB players on the field.

July 31, 2008 at 6:48 PM

Blogger KCDC said...

Ok, so I know Kila has only been up in Triple-A for 5 games, but after homering again today, Kila now has 3 home runs in 5 games, his on-base percentage is over .400 (it was .463 in Arkansas), and his OPS for the season including both stops is 1.096 and seems to be rising every day. I know, he was drafted out of highschool, so he's been in the system for a long time, specifically Double-A for the last 3 seasons.

But let's put that aside and just look at the player and the current numbers--he's got an MLB 1B body, listed at 6'3" 233. The numbers show he has undeniable power, and he's shown fantastic plate discipline for years. If we write off the relatively slow curve to the fact that he was drafted young and he had some health problems, and we just call him a late bloomer, we are left with a guy who just turned 24 to start this year and has posted a 1.096 OPS in Double/Triple-A. How many guys in the last 10 years have posted an OPS over 1.000 in Double/Triple-A at age 24? Over 1.050? What sorts of players have they turned into?

August 3, 2008 at 7:14 PM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your insights are incredible, great job.

The royals, lets be realistic this organization is a crap organization with what is it over 15 years of below .500 ball or something close. I thought the KC A's were bad, but this organization during the GLASS era has exceeded expectations as a terrible organization.

Why does GLASS not talk to print, or radio media? He is the owner right? I guess he feels no obligation to the fans who virtually gave him a free stadium plus a $150 mil of free upgrades.

Rumor is after stadium is completed team is worth more and he can sell it at more of a profit. At 70 plus years, his ownership won't last more than 8 years or so. What will we do then? Let's hope he dosen't give it to his son the village idiot to run.
Maybe someone from Garmin will buy it?

August 15, 2008 at 4:07 PM

You can use some HTML tags, such as <b>, <i>, <a>

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.

Comment moderation has been enabled. All comments must be approved by the blog author.

You will be asked to sign in after submitting your comment.