Google apps
Main menu

Post a Comment On: Rany on the Royals

"Royals Today: 3/20/2009"

19 Comments -

1 – 19 of 19
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't tell you how happy I was when I heard that on NPR last week. Congratulations. It was a great essay before the election and just as important now.

March 20, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Blogger glyons said...

Your piece on TAL was excellent--and even more effective in oral form. In spite of the unfettered "hope" that gathers around the Obama administration (or at least around the man), I'm always heartened to hear a perspective that reveals the complexities that are papered over by the political process. Life is much, much more than the image of 'togetherness' required by the party.

March 20, 2009 at 1:17 PM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was very disappointed with the MLB network hour long show on the royals. Of course, I had to pause it and walk away when Mitch Williams made the above .500 but finish 5th comment. But I also think both analysts showed little understanding about the Royals. John Hart said that getting to Soria was a problem for them last year and now they should be much better with Cruz and Farnsworth. Does he not know who Nunez and Ramirez are and how good they were combined last year? It felt like they invested very little time in the Royals, like usual.

March 20, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Blogger Brett said...

Completely random thought, and I have no reason to believe it might be true, but...

We've been hearing all spring that the Royals are going to open with 12 pitchers, because Trey doesn't want to overwork anybody. Many of us have assumed that Gobble would be one of those 12. Trey admitted that he used Gobble incorrectly last year, basically conceding he should be a LOOGY. However, Trey doesn't seem like the type to really want to use LOOGYs. So, was the talk about the 7-man bullpen due to the fact that one of those seven could only be counted on to get one out every couple of days, rather than pitch a full inning? And if so, does cutting Gobble mean that the bullpen will now only need six guys who can pitch at least an inning each? And if that's the case, does the extra bench spot mean that Shealy is more likely to make the team, or that Bryan Pena is going to be carried as the third catcher (who also has played some other positions in Spring Training) until Buck or Olivo can be traded? My guess is there are still 12 pitchers in a Royals uniform on Opening Day; just wondering out loud here.

March 20, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

First, I doubt that Dayton Moore is really all that worried about losing Brayan Pena. They invested almost nothing in him, so if they lose him they don't lose much. They did have to give up something to get Shealy, so I think that they will carry him on the roster before carrying Pena as the third catcher.

But, if they were to cut John Buck and save themselves his salary, or if they are lucky enough to trade him, then both Pena and Shealy could concievably make the roster, if they go with only 11 pitchers.

I personally like the second option. Why pay Buck over 2 million to be the backup catcher????

March 20, 2009 at 2:38 PM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Anonymous,
I think it's more than just what the Royals paid for B. Pena and Shealy, but what those two might be worth from this point forward. If Shealy ends up having a breakout year on the first baseman starved Marlins, I'm going to be pissed.

March 20, 2009 at 9:46 PM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, Rany, Mellinger's article on Buck just means that Buck is taking an early lead in the all-important Royals stat of AWEPP - Articles Written Excusing Poor Performance. The truth is that last year was really pretty close to Slow John's career numbers. Sad story, yes. Harbinger of Bucky finally "getting it" - nope.

March 20, 2009 at 10:23 PM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Dan Cook,

If what you give up to get someone has no bearing on things like roster spots or starting jobs, then why is Jose Guillen still slated to be our Opening Day right fielder?

Because we gave him $12 million a year. If we'd given him $2 million, I would put a guess that Mark Teahen would be the starting right fielder Opening Day.

March 21, 2009 at 2:09 AM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you pointed out Crisp's BB numbers. We should also make note of the TEAM's 86 walks this spring training (2nd in the AL), which includes 6 by Mike Jacobs and 5 by John Buck. That seems to be a real improvement with patientce and something we can better translate into actual in-season performance. Maybe not to No.2 in the league, but it seems like we're not headed for "worse-than-the-Cleveland-Spiders" OBP that was speculated a few months ago.

March 21, 2009 at 1:29 PM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did we just trade Gobble to Texas for Sir Sidney? That was quick.

March 21, 2009 at 11:56 PM

Blogger pjbronco said...

Any chance the Horacio Ramirez experiment is over?

March 22, 2009 at 6:55 PM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haven't seen this mentioned, but according to Stark we have made Buck available. So it seems that Moore/Hillman would prefer an Olivo/Pena backstop.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3996672&name=stark_jayson

March 23, 2009 at 10:47 AM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glen- The team walk numbers are deceiving. Remember they are in spring training they are facing some pitchers who will not be on a MLB staff. I'd be concerned if they were #2 is K's taken.

March 23, 2009 at 5:45 PM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Denials notwithstanding, KC seems to be shopping Buck and Teahen, among others. Budget is a factor.

Different reports indicate that both the Yanks and Red Sox need a catcher and a third baseman.

Why not offer a package to both teams for the best package of pitching? Obviously, it's not going to be Buchholz or Hughes, but I'd love to see those two teams bid against each other.

March 23, 2009 at 10:18 PM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was great to hear you on This American Life this week. You don't know me, of course, but hearing you on the show was like listening to an old friend. And the essay is great...

March 24, 2009 at 7:13 AM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any chance (assuming HoRam gets a shot in the rotation in April) they keep Bannister in the 'pen as a swingman? I think that could be a good role for him - spot starts and 3 or 4 inning relief when needed? Like a slightly more talented Mike Wood?

March 24, 2009 at 8:58 AM

Blogger Glen said...

Ryan - Point taken, but everybody else is facing AAAA pitching or worse as well (or the current spoiled-milk version of Gil Meche), so the Royals' walks aren't some Surprise-driven outlier. The home runs, on the other hand...purely a Satanic pact.

March 24, 2009 at 8:27 PM

Blogger pjbronco said...

Not sure keeping Bannister in the pen makes sense. I love his attitude, but the results are not there. The problem with the bullpen suggestion is that there is no pattern to when he blows up. Sometimes it is the first inning, other times, the fourth or fifth. He would only be useful when the time is way behind in a game to eat innings and take a beating. Wonder if he would take a minor-league pitching coach position?

March 25, 2009 at 10:53 AM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amiable brief and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you for your information.

February 14, 2010 at 1:44 PM

You can use some HTML tags, such as <b>, <i>, <a>

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.

Comment moderation has been enabled. All comments must be approved by the blog author.

You will be asked to sign in after submitting your comment.