Google apps
Main menu

Post a Comment On: Rany on the Royals

"Live From The Winter Meetings."

45 Comments -

1 – 45 of 45
Blogger swimmerpie3331 said...

Glad to have you and your analysis back, Rany!

December 9, 2009 at 5:13 PM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re the possible reasons for replacing Buck, What about the "Bull Durham" rationale? Hire the grizzled, veteran catcher to bring along the brash young pitching staff. I don't have any opinions about the strategy itself but that at least seems a plausible rationale the Royals might have behind having a go at IRod. Kendall, not as much.

December 9, 2009 at 5:45 PM

Anonymous Chris said...

Again, you hit the nail right on the head, Rany. Why people dislike Buck I will never know. His stats show he's just as good as most catchers out there. No, he is not a Joe Mauer, but there is only one of those. Plus, he already knows the pitchers that will be caught in '10. A new catcher will have a learning curve to go through. Now throw in an extra year for Kendall and you save nothing if Kendall is a bust. People always think the grass is greener somewhere else but usually its like the field at Arrowhead, just painted dirt.

December 9, 2009 at 7:40 PM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Olivo at 3.3m would have been the better stopgap.

December 9, 2009 at 8:14 PM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

@Anon Re: Olivo

Olivo can't catch the ball. As much as he appeared to improve near the end of the season, Miguel Olivo has pretty much proven that he cannot do either of the two most important things a major-league catcher must do:

1) Catch the ball;
2) Get on base occasionally.

Good luck hitting 20 HR again, Miggy.

December 9, 2009 at 9:40 PM

Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Rany - as other's have said, good to have you back! Thanks for attending and posting. I would rather see Pena start and Buck backup, but primarily I have another question:

I agree with you that the FA budget should be slashed before the amateur budget, but regarding the examples you give: if you are a GM, what risk based discount rate do you apply to dollar spent on amateurs? You and your fellow writers are constantly talking about the failed #1 picks, so although $4M for chad cordero may be over paying, it's different than paying $4M for the next chad cordero in the draft.

I would rather spend money on an unknown with ceiling than a guy who has proved he has a low ceiling, but if I'm really performing an analysis, how much risk do I attach to amateur dollars?

December 9, 2009 at 11:50 PM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't get why they don't give Bryan Pena a chance to see if he can be their everyday catcher.

Seems to me that he has a better chance to improve than the free agents they're chasing. And he's millions cheaper - he made just over 400K last year.

December 10, 2009 at 3:56 AM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rumor has it they are sending scouts to Chapman's workout...
...so maybe the signing of Arguelles is the precursor to an offer to Chapman. Who knows maybe these guys are friends and would want to play together again. Just a thought.

December 10, 2009 at 6:49 AM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

re: olivo

What i meant was, better to suffer thru one additional year of Olivo (worked for zack!) at 3.3m (a known-known) than sign Kendall, etc, for 2 years 4-5m, or risk Buck getting a large arbitration raise. They don't really have a good option at this point, but i think locking in Olivo for one year beats throwing money at someone older, for two years, that is just as bad.

December 10, 2009 at 8:24 AM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to see we selected a braves farmhand in the Rule 5 Draft... Edgar Osuna, LHP, was in AA I believe.

December 10, 2009 at 8:29 AM

Blogger Scott D. Simon said...

Rany,

You understand instinctively that a pitcher with a career 4.50 ERA over 8 seasons who puts up a 3.40 ERA in his walk year may get overpaid in free agency based on a small sample size fluke.

Yet when D.Moore makes the decision to sign a young Cuban defector rather than give an extra $2 million to his backup catcher, you ascribe significance to the move beyond the signing itself.

Shouldn't you acknowledge that this move is at least as likely to be a one-time fluke (especially given the Guillen, Farnsworth, etc. contracts that constitute the majority of Moore's tenure) than the start of a promising trend?

Keep up the good work.

December 10, 2009 at 9:09 AM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

RANY,

WHY NO MENTION OF GOING AFTER RICK ANKIEL FOR CENTER FIELD

December 10, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jacobs released. The Process continues...

December 10, 2009 at 3:11 PM

Blogger Jimmy Jack said...

Rany, what are your thoughts on the availability of Doumit? I realize his price tag would be significantly higher than what you are currently discussing, but some sort of deal could be made with Pitt I'm sure to alleviate either some of our current payroll (Them taking Meche/Farny/Guillen or some variation thereof) or Pitt kicking in some cash to cover Doumit's contract...thoughts?

December 10, 2009 at 3:56 PM

Blogger Jimmy Jack said...

Nevermind, I just saw on MLBTR Doumit's arbitration salary...case closed.

December 10, 2009 at 4:02 PM

Blogger Nathan said...

Quality,

This isn't a sudden change of direction for Moore. Whatever else one might say of him, he's consistently spent more money on player development than other small-market teams. Until recently, Glass was expanding the budget fast enough to enable Moore's free-agent habit. Now that the check's aren't flowing, it's pleasant, but not too shocking, to see the team rightly prioritizing amateur talent over free-agent talent.

GMs aren't just good or bad. Like everyone else in the world, they're usually good at certain things and bad at others. This is something Moore's good at.

December 10, 2009 at 4:09 PM

Blogger Nathan said...

Rany, great to have you back. I second Hayes' question. How do we rigorously evaluate the correct price for amateur vs. free-agent talent?

December 10, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Blogger Nathan said...

Like others here, I also don't see how Kendall is any better than Pena. But that should in no way overshadow the larger, more important point about priorities that Rany is making.

December 10, 2009 at 4:13 PM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Moore is after the veteran leadership of Kendall. I don't dislike the move. It is not earth shattering, but I think he helps the pitching staff, Davies, Hoch, Bannister.

I am concerned about our outfield. I think Guillen should be penciled in at DH. Who are we going to have play all three outfield positions. DeJesus is in left, but who plays center and right?

I liked Crisp while he was here. If he is healthy and can be had for the right price, I think he should be an option. Who else is available and who should we be in on? Of course Holliday would be incredible, but Mr. Glass would have to step up for that to happen. Don't think it will happen, but say that for some crazy way it came about, would we compete?

December 10, 2009 at 4:57 PM

Anonymous Mark said...

Hard to get excited this year, isn't it? If the best we can say is that the Royals did nothing at the winter meetings so they didn't make mistakes like last year. When a back-up centerfielder from either New York team would be a significant upgrade. When signing a pitcher who won't be major league ready for at least 2-3 years is our big news. When the Yankees of all teams get the first pick in the Rule 5 draft (!?).

So okay, last year's illusions turned into ashes in our mouths. Is this better? I'm not asking for delusions, just a little crumb of something to offer hope. What must Zack and Billy be thinking?

December 10, 2009 at 10:04 PM

Blogger TychNine said...

Rany, it is a true pleasure to take in your insight once again. Although you took a brief leave of absence (I most certainly do not blame you), I can sense your enthusiasm and passion, which you have always displayed, creeping back throughout your last column. Your analysis, always based in infinite examples of quantitative data, is thoughtful and usually spot-on. I appreciate the continuous insight you have so generously brought forth, and anxiously anticipate your future analysis of this organization. The honestly and straightforwardness you represent is nearing extinction in modern journalism, and I thank you for your many influential contributions.

December 11, 2009 at 2:41 AM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The main reason they aren't giving Pena the starting job is because he's simply attrocious behind the plate. His bat would play well there, but not his D. If it weren't for Guillen and his salary, Pena would be a great DH.

December 11, 2009 at 8:15 AM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

TPJ signed by the Giants.

December 11, 2009 at 11:00 AM

Blogger Phil said...

Glad to have you back on the analysis front, Rany.

As some other posters have questioned, could Buck's potential dismissal have something to do with his 'intangibles?' Leadership, game management, etc?

One of the fallacies of statistics is that only things that can be measured are worth analyzing. I'd like to get your take on Buck's maturity as a leader/games-man (assuming you have a take). If I recall correctly, the Royals weren't only atrocious at the plate, they were also terrible in making smart plays (and more importantly, not making stupid plays).

And now I must get back to writing my application letter to Hopkins' Radiology administration internship.

December 11, 2009 at 1:42 PM

Anonymous Sean said...

Why did KC even go to the Winter Meetings? We've had about 10 minor league FA fodder signings. This MLB roster is so so bad. I realize they have 0 tradeable parts so it's a catch 22 but man, I'm so frustrated when I read that they would look at Jose Molina as a starter, etc. We play guys that wouldnt have regular MLB jobs anywhere else. Bloomy loved it in KC last year? Why, cause he played every day for the first time...ala Ross Gload, Tony Graffanino, etc. Sorry for the rant, 2009 finally broke my back. '10 has all the makings of just as bad if not worse. Dayton only knows how to get fleeced in a trade, we overpay for FA that aren't on any other teams radar...when will this end?

December 11, 2009 at 2:02 PM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

0 tradeable parts? Every team in baseball would trade for Greinke or Soria for the right price. Just about every AL team would trade for Butler. Many would trade for Meche, Dejesus, Callaspo, etc.

We have obvious tradeable parts, but we also have obvious holes on the roster too.

The question is, do we trade one of our tradeable parts now or not? If we do trade one, do we trade him for major league ready players to fill other needs now, or for prospects to fill holes in the farm system?

December 11, 2009 at 2:22 PM

Blogger Charles Winters said...

re: Olivo

Let's try this again. Wasn't the option on Olivo a mutual option? If it was then the Royals may have discussed it with him and found that he was not interested in this possibility.

Inded, rumors today have the Rockies offering 5M+ for Miggy.

December 11, 2009 at 2:37 PM

Blogger Jimmy Jack said...

So I just saw on MLBTR that the Rays may be non-tendering Dioner Navarro due to his $2+Mil price tag. This looks to be right up our alley in budget & would be a HUGE pickup. GMDM should definitely at least take a look before letting Kendall sign on the dotted line...

December 11, 2009 at 3:12 PM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Royals sign Jason Kendall. Thoughts?

December 11, 2009 at 5:54 PM

Blogger Rany said...

Dear God, it's worse than we thought. I wrote the above thinking that Kendall might get $2 million for one year, or *maybe* $4 million for two years.

Instead it's $6 million for 2 years. Which is probably more than John Buck will sign for with his new team. The Royals declined the option to keep Miguel Olivo for one year and $3.3 million - then guaranteed nearly twice as much money to a guy who hasn't slugged .330 in three years, and hasn't slugged .350 in five years.

So you can strike all the optimism out of this post. I apologize for giving the Royals too much credit. Again.

At least they kept Disco...

December 11, 2009 at 6:38 PM

Blogger (jake) said...

Missed ya Rany.

December 11, 2009 at 10:51 PM

Anonymous Chris said...

Rany, again took the words right out of my mouth. 6 mil for two years? Moore has officially lost it. I wanted to believe in him but obviously he's not a good GM, especially not the one the Royals need. Hope Wil Myer makes a fast track to the big leagues or we are screwed.

December 12, 2009 at 12:44 AM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Obviously, they seem to want defense out of our catcher. Buck will be a good pickup for somebody.

December 12, 2009 at 8:35 AM

Blogger Scott D. Simon said...

@ Nathan: Jason Kendall. QED.

December 12, 2009 at 10:11 AM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Been a fan since the 70's... stayed with the team throug the years and was thrilled when DM came riding into town. But now all I can do is scratch my head. We will do something that looks great and then make the most puzzling of moves. Last year it was Jacobs and Farns that made we wonder what was going on. This year it is Kendall. A washed up player we are overpaying. Unreal.

December 12, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Anonymous Jason said...

Kendall for two years and 6 million? Well, he'll only be 36 and 37 years old and he DID slug .305 last year. Navarro is available? Boston got Max Ramirez? And the Royals overpay for an over the hill catcher. Baaaaaad signing. Par for the course, though.

December 12, 2009 at 12:15 PM

Anonymous Carl Willingham said...

Until the Royals get a GM who is not a part of the baseball lifer fraternity and actually thinks outside the box they are doomed to failure. This will take a huge amount of courage as the easiest way for the baseball fraternity to keep things the same is to protect their cronies in any way possible, mostly by criticizing anyting that is not done in a traditional manner. Does Glass strike you as the type of guy who will hire a complete unknown to run his team? Right, I'm with you. Moore is not better than Allard Baird, just was given alot more rope to hang himself with as far a money. What a depressing club to pour your passion into.

December 12, 2009 at 6:53 PM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shotty signing? Yes.

But still it's not like it directly took money from the Noel signing. We're not suddenly only offering Noel $6M because we gave the most homeless looking player in MLB $3M instead of $2M a year.

I know it's impossible to overlook the degree of ass-clown the Kendall signing is, but sometimes you HAVE to focus on the positive.

And the positive is that money has been spent on the player development which is LIGHT years from what many of us every though was in the realm of possibilities for the Royals.

December 12, 2009 at 7:14 PM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You all are overreacting here. Was the Kendall signing a good one? No. But it's not the end of the world. The Royals aren't going to contend next year regardless of whether it's Kendall or Buck behind the plate.

December 13, 2009 at 9:39 AM

Anonymous Carl Willingham said...

Yes, the Kendall signing by itself isn't a huge deal, but Kendall, Guillen, Farnsworth, Yabuta, Olivo and Buck at 6 mill last year, Jacobs at 3.2 instead of Kiahue at 400k, Mahay, Betancourt, hiring a complete bafoon to manage your club, letting above bafoon run your 55 million dollar man into the ground trying to avoid 100 losses...you get the idea. Moore has had a few success stories, but his rate of misses is staggering and shows a fundamental lack of understanding on what a replacement level talent is worth.

December 13, 2009 at 1:34 PM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carl, all the above people you mentioned were free agents. We are never going to win in Kansas City with free agents. We can't afford the top guys out there. We are going to win through drafting and developing our farm system. That is where Moore should be judged, not on free agency.

Could he do a better job in free agency? Sure. But at least he's not signing Jose Guillen's to ridiculous contracts anymore that we can't pay someone to take. This deal isn't one that would keep us from having enough money to give Billy Butler a contract extension (or something like that).

December 14, 2009 at 7:43 AM

Blogger Kansas City said...

I'm afraid Carl is correct in his criticisms, and the Kendall deal for a 36 years old catcher sure makes you scratch your head. It must mean Olivo and Buck were just awful defensively, because even Moore has to know that Kendall is cooked at age 36 -- he offense is gone and his defense must be declining.

In today's paper, Moore tried to explain that the "market" went up for catchers (although one might ask who else was going to sign Kendall) and that he could mentor pitchers and younger catchers. Moore sure is willing to stick his neck out with moves like this and Betancourt. Plus, he seems to have an obvious weakness in judging veteran major leaguers -- which is odd because that seems the easiest call to make -- just look at recent numbers.

December 14, 2009 at 10:05 AM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It appears that any semi-serious baseball fan has more common sense than DM. Who among us really thought that Gload, Farnsworth, Yabuta, etc. were good moves? Other GM's must be laughing at the Royals' "process".

December 14, 2009 at 1:27 PM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buck has significant structural back problems. Any long or short term contract will be wrong, good move Royals for a change.

December 21, 2009 at 10:18 AM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to quote your post in my blog. It can?
And you et an account on Twitter?

December 26, 2009 at 1:32 AM

You can use some HTML tags, such as <b>, <i>, <a>

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.

Comment moderation has been enabled. All comments must be approved by the blog author.

You will be asked to sign in after submitting your comment.